Albania! Day 6 and Last Chance!

Ahhh….the Muslim 1st call to prayer is at 5 AM every morning, and my hotel’s window looks out at the local mosque!  No sleeping in here!



Today is our last day in Albania since we leave tomorrow for Croatia.  It’s my last chance to explore and learn about this interesting country.


A spiderweb of power lines were outside our hotel.



Here is a persimmon.  I picked this one up at breakfast one morning, but I’ve seen them growing in peoples’ yards and in the market.  You are suppose to eat it like an apple.  I’ve been carrying it around but haven’t tried it yet.  I’ll keep you posted.



We begin the day with a walking tour of Shkoder.  Our first stop is at a local silversmith where we watch a video of 3 generations practicing, teaching and then learning the trade.  We meet the owner and the young son who is now grown!  I may have to come back here!


There is a lot of Italian and even French influence in Shkoder evidenced by the architecture….

  



and an unusual door knocker.  I’m so tempted to try it out!



Vines covered with fruit adorn a garage door.  I guess it’s handy to grab a snack as you run out for errands!

  

A square holds a statue dedicated to the religious martyrs who were killed during the communist regime along with flagstones engraved with each of their names.

  

St. Stephen’s Cathedral has a beautifully carved ceiling and rosary window.  

  

At the front of the church are portraits commemorating Mother Teresa and the martyrs.  

  

During the communist regime when religion was outlawed and churches and mosques were destroyed, this building was used as an athletic facility for volleyball and handball.  It is a beautiful house of worship again now.



A Franciscan Church’s statuary welcomes everyone inside to worship.  This structure was used as a cinema during the communist years.

  

Overlooking two rivers below, the Rozafa Castle sits atop a steep mountain, but at least we drove most of the way!  



Finishing the walk over rough cobblestones and through two dark original tunnels, we reached the first courtyard.  

  

This was the first of three courtyards built as a defensive measure.



The upper most area commands a 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside.  


  


The walls are thick heavy stone…

  
but just in case it’s needed, there is an escape tunnel!



According to legend, the castle is named after a young wife and mother entombed within the castle walls.  She sacrificed herself to fulfill a prophecy that the castle walls would never fall.  However, she had 3 requests…that an opening be left for one eye so she could see her child, a second opening for one finger so she could touch her child, and a third opening for one breast so she could feed her child.


I love this beautiful flower which has found a home above a doorway!

  

We left the castle for a short visit to Shiroka, a small fishing village located on Lake Shkoder, the second largest lake in Europe and…


…see.  I really was there!


Next was the Marubi National Museum of Photography which has a collection of thousands of historic photos taken of Albanians.


The Venetian Mask Factory granted us a private tour.  We were not permitted to take pictures inside the workshop, but ladies were sitting at tables adorning fabulous masks with paint, beads, glitter, and feathers.  No two masks are identical!

  
  

Some were more like headpieces.  I imagine this on a Las Vegas showgirl!

  The owner has 8 shops in Venice plus one in LV.


Our final group dinner in Shkoder was at a local restaurant where a wood-fed open oven grills our bread and cooks our eggplant and stuffed peppers…



…while an eclectic group of items decorate the restaurant.



Most dinners and some lunches start with a large bowl filled with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and onions.  I don’t usually eat plain tomatoes but these are delicious.  Locally grown and organic, I have eaten more tomatoes here than in my entire life!


Before I forget, our guide pointed out one good thing about the communist years of 1944-1990.  A large portion of the Albanian population was illiterate at the beginning of this period, but the government set up schools to teach everyone to read.


I have developed a head cold.  I think it’s just a regular cold….runny nose mainly….but thanks to a family history from my Dad…I know a cough is coming.  These days if you cough or sneeze everyone stares you down as a COVID carrier!  I meant to bring some tests, but Robyn has one I can use.  We decide to wait until I’m in Croatia to test since if I’m positive, I’ve already infected the others on this pretrip anyway.


Robyn asks me if I really want to know.  I don’t, but I contacted our guide this morning for full disclosure.  We will be meeting the rest of our group…10 more people…in Croatia.  I am already trying to isolate myself from others and washing hands, using sanitizer, not touching handles and buttons, and wearing a mask on the van.


GJ has enjoyed her time in Albania, and I have certainly learned a lot.  If you are reading this and paying attention, so have you!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia! Into the Hills on Day 19!

Serbia! Final Exploration & Day 26!