Day 1 - Me and Tom Hanks

It’s been a LONG day!  Robyn picked me up at zero-dark-thirty (translation - 3:15 AM) heading to the Richmond airport.   We might hit a deer on the interstate in the dark, but we were not going to hit traffic!  Robyn, like me, prefers to arrive early for flights.  Everyone arrives 1 1/2 hours before domestic flights so we arrive TWO hours early!  Aren’t we smart but tired!


We are heading on a LONG awaited trip to the Galápagos Islands via several days in the Amazon rainforest along with Quito, the capital of Ecuador.  I have waited 49 YEARS for this adventure!  As a freshman at Wake Forest, the biology department invited students to spend spring break in the Galapagos.  I thought I would go another time, and they NEVER went again!   Robyn and I started planning this trip in 2017, but we were way-laid with a visit to see Michael and Robyn’s brother in Dubai and then to Africa.  We booked the Galapagos trip for March of 2020, and we all know what happened then.  It was postponed until 2021, then postponed again until 2022, and postponed AGAIN until 2023, but finally we are going!


After an uneventful flight to Miami International Airport, we started our LONG layover of 10 1/2 hours, and my saga with Tom Hanks begins.


Do you remember the movie, “The Terminal”, where Tom’s character lived in an airport?  I felt like that today.  Food choices ranged from fast food, Wendy’s, Nathan’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, to Asian noodle shops and sushi, Italian or quick grab pizza, sandwiches, burgers, salads, and my favorite, Cuban.  There were desserts galore - candy, cupcakes, and milkshakes to satisfy any sweet tooth.  Multiple bars are peppered between drink stands, but there is not a Starbucks in sight!  It resulted in a high-priced culinary collage of gastronomic delights!


Cuban cigars, anyone?  Magazines, books, jewelry, clothing, and video games along with gifts for loved ones if you forgot to shop elsewhere filled stores.  There were recliners where you could have a massage just make sure you insert a credit card first.  Another  option were lounges with breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets, free drinks at the bar (Yes, that included alcoholic ones.) comfortable chairs and sofas to nap and lounge, a family play area, business and phone rooms, along with free massages and manicures!  Oh, just forget that pesky yearly membership fee!


Entertainment was floor to ceiling windows overlooking the runways where jets launched themselves into the clouds!  I took an aviation class in high school, and I know HOW planes fly.  I just don’t understand rationally how a multi-ton machine races down a runway and achieves flight!  It boggles my mind!


I never did find a place to “borrow” a uniform like Tom did in the movie. However,  our 10 1/2 hr layover has now been extended by two hours.  More time to explore, and you never know what I might find.  Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia! Into the Hills on Day 19!

Serbia! Final Exploration & Day 26!

Albania! Day 6 and Last Chance!